The present-day Kilcoole Community Centre originated as a school. In the early 1800s there were a number of schools in Kilcoole, including one on Upper Green and on Lott Lane. In 1897 the Holy Faith Sisters opened a school at their convent in Kilcoole and took boarders and day pupils. When the schools were placed under the National Board of Education the boarding school was closed down. The nuns continued to provide a national school for girls, while boys attended the national school at Pretty Bush (1.5km to the north).
In 1960 the Pretty Bush school closed and a new boys school was built at the north end of the village. £30,000 was donated toward the building of the school by Mrs Hilda Fox, a native of Kilcoole who lived in South Africa. Mrs Fox also donated £10 to each household in the village.
In 1973 a new national school for Girls (St Brigid’s) opened in the convent grounds. A new boys school (St Anthony’s) was built across the road in 1983. In 2010 the two schools were amalgamated. The St Brigid’s building is expected to be replaced with a new building starting in 2017.
The old boys school built in 1960 became the Parish centre in 1983, and was refurbished and extended as a Community Centre in 2015. The Centre is now home to many local classes and activities.
The Community Centre can be contacted at 01 287 2017 or email@example.com.